January 28, 2005
Bloody Pregnant Women

I got a seat at Colliers Wood for a change. Then a heavily pregnant woman got on at Tooting Broadway, and wasn't quick enough to get the last seat. All the people near her started reading their papers really intently.

Well, I say papers - mostly it was Metro or The Daily Bigot, neither of which really deserve the appellation. They were probably all too intent reading some rant about how nobody has any manners any more to notice her. And how it's all the fault of immigrants and the left wing press.

So, I ended up standing all the way to Bank again. :-(

Posted to Rants by Simon Brunning at January 28, 2005 09:47 AM
Comments

But you felt like a hero right? :-)

Posted by: Darren on January 28, 2005 10:09 AM

I'm proud of you!

Posted by: Sujatin on January 28, 2005 10:13 AM

Nope, Darren, mainly I felt pissed off. Why can't people who *need* a seat - the elderly, the heavily pregnant, and those with small kids - travel outside the rush hour? I'll always give up my seat for these people, but they shouldn't be on the tube at eight a.m. in the first place.

Any why don't *other* people give up their seats for a bloody change. Bastards, the lot of them.

Posted by: Simon Brunning on January 28, 2005 10:16 AM

I'm sorry - why do 'these people' travel at 8am? I dunno - to get to work or other places that they need to get to at that time? Like everyone else I imagine their travel times are dictated by when they need to travel, not when is most convenient for everyone else.

Posted by: Katherine on January 28, 2005 10:53 AM

Whenever I've *needed* a seat - when I injured my foot, for example - I just got up early to make sure that I got one.

Posted by: Simon Brunning on January 28, 2005 11:07 AM

But a temporary injury like that is not in quite the same category as being pregnant (a few months, allowing or visibility and needing to have seat) or being old (permanent, and only getting worse), or having small children. You can make adjustments temporarily and inconveniently.

Posted by: Katherine on January 28, 2005 12:49 PM

Oh, I know. I'm just in a bad mood today. C.f. all the other ranting going on on my blog at the moment. ;-)

Posted by: Simon Brunning on January 28, 2005 12:51 PM