December 02, 2003
The Twits

Freja has reached a very important point in her life. She is now able to read books to herself that she really enjoys.

Prior to now, the books that she found exciting and funny were just a bit out of her range, so she's need me to read them to her. Recently, I've read her Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Harry Potter and The Wizard of Oz. Great stuff. I was planning on The Hobbit and The Phantom Tollbooth next. But this weekend, we were in a bookshop and we came across The Twits. Freja was in hysterics all the way home.

Honestly, I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, I'm really pleased that she's getting so much pleasure from reading. But on the other, I'm going to miss reading her bedtime stories. Sigh.

Posted to Parenting by Simon Brunning at December 02, 2003 01:40 PM
Comments

My eldest is around the same stage, the transition from finding books that I want to read to her, to finding books that she wants to read is "interesting".

It's not unlike shopping for women, you're never quite sure if you're going to hit or miss by a mile!

Posted by: Jim Hughes on December 2, 2003 02:55 PM

Shopping for women? I didn't know you could get *them* in shops these days...

Posted by: Simon Brunning on December 2, 2003 03:00 PM

A big well done to Freja. I'm sure that she'll still enjoy being read to by Daddy for a while.

Posted by: Steve on December 2, 2003 09:10 PM

I look forward to the day that my daughter can read to herself because she wants to hear so many stories I get a sore throat. And now my son is into Thomas the Tank Engine and I've got a massive book to plow through.

How is Freja getting on reading to herself?

Posted by: Paul on December 4, 2003 11:14 AM

I've not seen her since the weekend. I'll find out tomorrow.

(Note to self - pick up another Dahl book on the way home tonight...)

Posted by: Simon Brunning on December 4, 2003 03:45 PM