August 13, 2003
Perhaps it will be worth getting WiFi after all...

The idea of surfing over a coffee at Starbucks is an attractive one - but not at the prices they are charging.

One day, though, WiFi may be free. Charging for online usage would be like charging for salt and pepper.

Posted to The Internet by Simon Brunning at August 13, 2003 02:16 PM
Comments

Two problems, you need a wifi enabled machine and you have to drink Starbucks coffee. The first issue is technological (and can therefore be resolved) but the second is the real killer. *American* coffee? I think not, give me Italian coffee or give me nothing.

Posted by: Andy Todd on August 13, 2003 02:25 PM

But can you download pron and do they charge extra for napkins?

Posted by: Stevan Rose on August 13, 2003 02:45 PM

Wow, thanks for linking to that T-Mobile page. They now provide wifi at my local Borders book store, and I've been meaning to go in there and try it, but for some reason I was assuming it was free. Stupid of me, I guess.

Posted by: rob on August 14, 2003 02:56 AM

Actually, I've found the hotspots (both Starbucks and Borders) to be fairly handy when traveling out of town. Most Internet cafe-type places will charge at least $6/hr and the environment in a Borders or Starbucks is much more pleasant.

Posted by: Sanjay on August 14, 2003 06:05 AM

Can I continue my rant against Starbucks as no one is listening?

Its American coffee and therefore just not very good. Find yourself a nice authentic Italian espresso bar (Melbourne is generally the best spot for these) and never drink that poop-in-a-paper-cup again. Sheesh.

As for Borders, well their coffee shops are run by Starbucks. Nuff said.

Posted by: Andy Todd on August 14, 2003 11:11 AM

Hmm your rant has a slight flaw Andy, namely:

"Melbourne is generally the best spot for these"... I would've thought Rome or Milan would've been better ;-)

And most Starbucks is South America coffee which is generally very good.

Posted by: Gordon on August 14, 2003 12:32 PM

there are plenty of free access points out there. There's a few around London, www.consume.net

Posted by: Mark Boyce on August 14, 2003 04:42 PM